Compare and review the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 to the Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 and the Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi are the main competitors from these manufacturers. Both of these digital SLR camera models have 12 Megapixel resolution and the quality is about the same. They also both come with optically-stabilized kit lenses. But when compared further, there are of course differences.
Features in favor of the Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi include :
- slightly faster 3.5fps continuous shooting
- the Canon comes with an optical SLR viewfinder which many prefer over the electronic live-view system on the Panasonic
- longer battery life (with the optical viewfinder)
- a wider selection of lens
In the Panasonic’s favor are many well reviewed features that include :
- 23 point auto focus
- the Panasonic has a faster Live View auto focus compared to the Canon
- the Panasonic Lumix G1 is both lighter and smaller and arguably more comfortable
- comes with a more detailed LCD screen that flips-out and twists to any angle
- a larger viewfinder with graphics and 100% coverage
- well reviewed face detection
- more competitively priced
The bottom line is that many reviews indicate the Panasonic Lumix G1 is arguably a superior camera when compared to the Canon rebel XSi. However, the Canon does have a much wider variety of lenses and a much larger installed base of users.